Health Leaders Media published an interesting slideshow of 2015’s top healthcare quality issues. The slideshow features 13 issues that will be important for the leadership of healthcare facilities to keep in mind in 2015.
“Healthcare has experienced fascinating changes during the last few years, and 2015 will be no exception,” they write. “Major programs stemming from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act are well under way, dozens of new quality measures and data galore are flowing into the public domain, and quality of care remains in the spotlight for providers at all levels.”
Their choices for 2015’s top healthcare quality issues are:
- Measuring Misdiagnosis — “If physicians’ diagnostic accuracy were like air travel, one in 20 planes would not land when or where it should, and one in 40 flights would put passengers at risk of significant harm, or even crash.”
- Hospitals will get star ratings — The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will rate facilities based on a 5-star quality scale.
- Readmissions socioeconomic adjustment
- Demise of Partnership for Patients
- Medicaid parity expiration hurts doctor supply
- Disproportionate Share hospital cuts remain unfair
- Antimicrobial stewardship as a Medicare condition of participation
- Electronic quality measure reporting babble — “The American Hospital Association points fingers of blame at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology for failing to “enable electronic health records to generate feasible, reliable, and valid quality data for reporting purposes.”
- Mining physician quality for contracts
- PCORI research to vet which pricy drugs are better
- Cuts, cuts, and more cuts to doc pay for care to the poor
- Gaggle of quality reporting
- Healthcare fraud
Do you agree with Health Leaders Media’s list of 2015’s top healthcare quality issues? Are these issues affecting your facility in 2015? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Click here to view the slideshow in its entirety.